[Msa-discuss] CFP: The mood of modernism: affect/invention/concept (MSA 17)

mena.mitrano at tin.it mena.mitrano at tin.it
Fri Mar 13 11:11:18 EDT 2015

Dear All:I am sending this again
because I have corrected Carla's email address, which is: carla.billitteri at umit.maine.edu

Thank you. Mena M

CFP:
The mood of modernism: affect/invention/concept (MSA 17)

We
invite papers which explore  modernism not in its more visible,
spectacular, and externalized manifestations, but rather in unforeseen points,
junctures, landscapes, interstices and borders, including the juxtaposition of
intellectual and private life, past and present, the life of the mind and
divided, alternative, fragmented, patched up, or precarious lives. We encourage
all sorts of contributions on the significance of modernism when it is
revolutionary otherwise, in more silent, dispersed ways, or when modernism
itself becomes an atmosphere or a mood, thus a concept that can do its work
only if it captures something as elusive as mood.

For
example, through repetition over time, how might aesthetic modernism transfer
to the lives we live, and become present in them? Is it plausible to think of
modernism as an atmosphere of one's daily life in the present? When? How?
Where?  Given the popularity and the expandability of modernism, doesn't
the concept itself raise the question of modernism as that of passage, transit,
transmission? One, therefore, can imagine a geographical transit: an
Anglo-American modernism that passes, let's say, through Italian hermeticism to
re-emerge, over  time, in all kinds of Anglo-American modernism's others.
 However, one might also imagine quite a different kind of transit, a less
geographical and more atmospheric transit. This less spectacular modernism may
be felt to be in the air when it  impacts on us in unforeseen ways, making
waves of meaning (and meaningfulness) right in the middle of our daily lives,
when past intellectual and aesthetic residues, introjected verbal and visual
memories of ideas, sensations, and readings, combine with our local position to
open up conceptual, theoretical, creative possibilities and potentialities.
It's like being between mountains and sea, suddenly released from the limits of
the local to experience an ampler, more global belonging. How does affect
for/from modernism flow into public research? What are the other, improper
places of modernism?

The
panel is open to anyone from any discipline who wishes to explore how modernist
objects---archival, textual, musical, visual, mnestic, or other-- enter daily
life, create sustenance, and incite creativity, conceptual and of other kinds.

Please
contact panel co-organizers to discuss ideas, or send a 250-word abstract,
along with a brief biography, by April 5 to:

Carla Billitteri at carla.billitteri at umit.maine.edu and Mena Mitrano at mmitrano at luc.edu, or

mena.mitrano at tin.it

Thank you!