[Msa-discuss] CFP: Global Modernism and Civil War (MSA 17)

Weberling, Ryan, David ryanweb at bu.edu
Wed Mar 4 10:28:22 EST 2015

Dear MSA Members,

Please consider submitting a proposal for the following CFP, or contact me at ryanweb at bu.edu<mailto:ryanweb at bu.edu> to discuss possible topics.

Best,
Ryan Weberling
Boston University
https://bu.academia.edu/RyanWeberling | @ryweb

*

CFP: Global Modernism and Civil War (MSA 17)
http://bit.ly/modcivilwar

Wyndham Lewis'™s Blast is perhaps the most famous modernist declaration of civil war: "œWe set Humour at Humour's throat. / Stir up Civil War among peaceful apes." Lewis himself was named after an eccentric English mercenary who fought in the U.S. Civil War (by his American father, a veteran of the same war), and he returns to the trope in his 1937 autobiography, Blasting and Bombardiering: "You will be astonished to find how like art is to war, I mean '˜modernist€'™ art...I have set out to show how war, art, civil war, strikes and coup d'etat dovetail into each other."

This panel proposes extending recent interest in the Spanish Civil War to a comparative, structural, and intertextual analysis of internecine modernism. How does sectional conflict reframe our understanding of nationalism and world war? Papers could return to well-known national narratives, identify less familiar histories of schism, or develop new transnational or inter-historical approaches.

Topics and approaches might include:

- global perspectives on southern modernism and the U.S. Civil War (what Winston Churchill described as the “least avoidable” conflict in history): reconsideration of Paul Giles’s 2003 statement that “returning so obsessively to the trauma of the Civil War…indirectly asserts the primacy of traditional American ideals of federal unity and freedom”
- comparative perspectives on interwar schism: pro-fascist writing on the Spanish Civil War, or conflict in Finland (1918), Ireland (1922), Ecuador (1923), Nicaragua (1926), Mexico (1926), China (1927), Brazil (1932), Austria (1934)
- revisionary perspectives: civil war as precursor, corollary, or consequence of world war; World War I writing as literature of European Civil War
- competing narratives: civil war as revolution, insurrection, slave revolt, independence movement, pan-nationalism, regionalism
- new national allegories: partition, apartheid, secession, annexation, devolution, insurgency
- modernist factions: networks, coteries, clubs, troupes, unions, conferences, societies, federations
- modernism and transatlantic schism: the black Atlantic and double consciousness, Atlantic sectionalism, legacies of the English Civil Wars
- interdisciplinary frameworks: economic and imperial history; political science and international relations
- civil war in theory: Derrida’s “Declarations of Independence”; Nancy’s The Inoperative Community or Being Singular Plural; Agamben’s State of Exception; Butler on precarity, dispossession, gender trouble

Contact Ryan Weberling (ryanweb at bu.edu<mailto:ryanweb at bu.edu>) to discuss possibilities for the panel, or send a 300-word paper proposal by April 10.