[Msa-discuss] CFP: Sacred Literature, Secular Religion: A Conference on Cultural Practices

Davis, Michael davismf at lemoyne.edu
Tue Jan 13 11:27:42 EST 2015

Sacred Literature, Secular Religion: A Conference on Cultural Practices
lemoyne.edu/slsr
October 1-3, 2015
Le Moyne College, Syracuse, New York, co-sponsored by Hamilton College and
Syracuse University

Keynote Speakers:
Amy Hollywood, Harvard Divinity School
John Lardas Modern, Religious Studies, Franklin & Marshall College
Richard Rosengarten, Religion and Literature, Chicago Divinity School
Cynthia Robinson, History of Art, Cornell University
Amila Buturovic, Humanities, York University

Call for Papers:

Charles Taylor recently claimed that we live in “a secular age,” one in
which a wide range of religious practices – and ways to opt out of those
practices – are available. Today we might follow traditional forms of
observance, establish new kinds of worship that are not strictly religious,
or reject devotional pursuits altogether. Is Taylor right, or have these
options always existed in varying degrees, in various periods and places?

This conference explores how religious and secular concerns overlap and
inform modes of belief and forms of pious (and impious) expression. Rather
than approach the sacred and the secular in dualistic terms, we seek ways
to understand how the categories intersect and criss-cross. Rather than
simply map religion onto literature or vice versa, we invite papers that
conceptualize and describe the interrelation between the two. We welcome
diverse ways of framing and pursuing the conference theme and hence
encourage contributions from scholars not only in literary and religious
studies, but also from visual studies, history, philosophy, psychology,
archeology, and elsewhere, both within and across religious traditions and
in the public sphere.

We welcome papers from graduate and undergraduate students.

Send 300-word proposals to:
Jennifer Gurley, Department of English,
Le Moyne College (gurleyja at lemoyne.edu
<http://lemoyne.edu/tabid/3464/Default.aspx>) *and*