[Msa-discuss] Book Announcement: I Too Have Some Dreams

A. Sean Pue pue at msu.edu
Fri Sep 26 13:47:36 EDT 2014

Dear colleagues and friends,

I would like to announce that my book, I Too Have Some Dreams: N. M. Rashed and Modernism in Urdu Poetry (http://ucpress.edu/book.php?isbn=9780520283107), has been published by University of California Press.

I have a resource webpage for the book here: http://seanpue.com/itoohavesomedreams/  That page is probably only of interest to people who can understand Hindi or Urdu, but I hope the book is accessible to a wider audience. Any comments are welcomed.

Best regards,
Sean

A. Sean Pue, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Hindi Language and South Asian Literature and Culture
Department of Linguistics and Germanic, Slavic, Asian and African Languages
Michigan State University
B-360 Wells Hall
619 Red Cedar Road
East Lansing, MI 48824-1027
(517) 432-3568 Fax: (517) 432-2736
http://seanpue.com

I Too Have Some Dreams explores the work of N. M. Rashed, Urdu's renowned modernist poet, whose career spans the last years of British India and the early decades of postcolonial South Asia. A. Sean Pue argues that Rashed’s poetry carved out a distinct role for literature in the maintenance of doubt, providing a platform for challenging the certainty of collective ideologies and opposing the evolving forms of empire and domination. This finely crafted study offers a timely contribution to global modernist studies and to modern South Asian literary history.

Acknowledgments
Note on Transliteration

Introduction

1. Embodiment

2. Position Without Identity

3. Allegory and Collectivity

4. Temporality

Conclusion: Hasan the Potter

Appendix: Poems in Transliteration and Translation