[Msa-discuss] Amodern 3: Sport and Visual Culture

Amodern Journal amodernjournal at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 14:12:21 EDT 2014

Announcing the launch of Amodern 3: Sport and Visual Culture
A special issue guest-edited by Jonathan Finn

http://amodern.net

Editorial
Jonathan Finn

"Looking into the Past"
an interview with Ludmilla Jordanova, by Jonathan Finn

"Aesthetics and the Politics of Representation: The Making of Modern
English Sport"
Richard Gruneau

"Seeing the Skeleton and Feeling the Form"
Robin Veder

"Toques and Turbans, Sticks and Show Tunes: Incorporating the 'Other'
in Canadian Hockey Films"
Russell Field

"Intersections: Ways of Knowing Mixed Martial Arts and Visual Culture"
Anu Vaittinen

"Feminist Figure Girl"
Lianne McTavish

*

Additionally, Amodern is pleased to announce our new series – CURRENTS
– that will feature regular articles, dialogues and curated archival
materials. Our first piece is "Thoughts on an Impossible Project," a
feature interview with Bruno Latour, by Heather Davis.

*

AMODERN
http://amodern.net

AMODERN is a peer-reviewed, open access scholarly journal devoted to
the study of media, culture, and poetics. Its purpose is to provide a
forum for interdisciplinary conversations about the role of media and
technology in contemporary cultural practices. We are particularly
interested in those topics that normally escape scrutiny, or are
ignored or excluded for whatever reason.

The journal is distinguished by its focus on poetics as a scholarly
practice, with particular emphasis on the unruly ways that people
deploy media and technology behind, beneath, and despite their
instrumental functions. Against the grain of determinism, we hope to
attract work that bears witness to media as complex assemblages of
institutions, subjects, bodies, objects, and discourses.

Please send all submissions and queries to:
submissions at amodern.net

Founding Editors: Scott Pound and Darren Wershler
Managing Editor: Michael Nardone

Advisory Board
--------------
Johanna Drucker