[Msa-discuss] Another literary role-play on Twitter

Petra Dierkes-Thrun petradt at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 19:10:56 EDT 2014

Dear all,

I realize this is a bit out of the modernist zone, but many of you are
regularly teaching this text and might be interested. Please share widely
and tell your students and colleagues about it--we'd love to have strong
public participation!

http://shelleysfrankenstein.wordpress.com/frankenstein-a-public-literary-twitter-role-play-on-twitter/

Thank you,
Petra Dierkes-Thrun
Stanford University

On the evening before Halloween and all the way through Halloween, join us
for a very special, spooky, funny, addictive literary role-play on
Twitter! *Victor
Frankenstein’s Night in Hell*

*Thursday, October 30 (after sunset) all through the day and night of
Friday, October 31, 2014 (Halloween), on Twitter, #Frankensteinplay*

[image: hell-1]
<https://shelleysfrankenstein.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/hell-1.jpg>

*The scenario:*

Victor Frankenstein is out and about on the ice in the Arctic, pursuing his
Creature (the monster, the wretch, the daemon) with a soul full of rage,
revenge, fear, and remorse. As he falls asleep from exhaustion one night, he
has a vivid nightmare of being right in front of the gates of Hell,
assaulted by torturous visions of people dead and alive, including all the
family members and friends he has lost and the Creature himself, but also
other figures from science, literature, and history, who shout at him in a
cacophonous chorus, telling him what he did wrong or admiring him,
beckoning him to come join them in Hell, appealing to him to change his
ways and turn around his life, and generally tearing at him from all sides.

*Rules of the game:*

1. You can tweet in as many different characters/people as you like and
switch back and forth between them. The characters can come from Shelley's
novel or from any other context you find relevant, including other books or
music, or be notable figures in science, culture (including film and
popular culture). For instance, you could tweet as Milton’s Satan from
*Paradise
Lost*; as Werther from Goethe’s *The Sorrows of Young Werther*; as Don
Giovanni in Mozart’s opera, as the mythological Prometheus; as Erasmus
Darwin; as Luigi Galvani; as Lady Gaga; as Tim Burton … no limits to the
imagination!

2. At the start of your tweet, include the name of your chosen
character/person so we know who’s speaking.  Also, use the hashtag
*#Frankensteinplay* on every tweet. This is important for all participants
to find the role-play on Twitter. Don’t forget!

Example:  ELIZABETH: I still believe in marriage, but we really should
rethink the wedding night. #Frankensteinplay

3. Twist: you can use *#pokefrank* or* #pokemonster* if you want to ask
either Victor Frankenstein or the monster a direct question. Who knows–you
might get an answer if your tweet is interesting, witty, or provocative
enough!

Example:  LADY GAGA: Hey hon, who’s your makeup artist? #pokemonster
#Frankensteinplay

4. Feel free to tweet images, video, or links within the play. Special
kudos and Stanford love if you tweet an image of yourself in costume and
speak to Frankenstein as your Halloween character!

We will feature the best moments and pictures in a Storify after the play
is over. Watch our website for updates on that after Halloween weekend.

*Tweet early, tweet late, tweet often, and help us spread the fun by
sharing this with your networks and lists. See you for the first-ever
#Frankensteinplay on Twitter!*

Petra Dierkes-Thrun, PhD
Lecturer, Department of Comparative Literature
and Program in Feminist, Gender and Sexuality Studies
450 Serra Mall, Bldg. 260 (Pigott Hall)
Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305
pdthrun at stanford.edu

Book: *Salome's Modernity: Oscar Wilde and the Aesthetics of Transgression
<https://www.press.umich.edu/1979616/salomes_modernity>*
Founding Editor, *The Latchkey: Journal of New Woman Studies
<http://www.oscholars.com/Latchkey/start.htm>*
Advisory Editor, boundary2.org (Duke UP)
Editorial Board, RODOPI Dialogue Series
<http://www.rodopi.nl/senj.asp?SerieId=DIALOGUE>