[Msa-discuss] CFP for MSA 2014: "Spy Fiction and Modernity: Unresolved Affinities?" (abstracts due Apr 25)

Michael T Williamson mtwill at iup.edu
Sun Mar 23 19:36:35 EDT 2014

Dear MSA Colleagues --

We invite paper abstracts for a proposed panel for the Modernist Studies Association conference (Pittsburgh, Nov. 6-9, 2014), "Spy Fiction and Modernity: Unresolved Affinities?"

In spite of its conventional sense of movement towards discovery and differentiation, spy fiction depends on dramas of dissembling that never quite pull together coherent nationalities, sexual orientations, and other identities. Similarly spy fiction’s own generic identifications often blur, undoing literary classification, causing excursions into detective fiction, romance, history and travel writing. That these blurrings are themselves responses to modernity will be the premise of this panel, and we invite responses to spy literature that cross over the boundaries of identification, for the spy and for the novel, moving both characters and forms to negotiate with alterity without resolution.

Please send proposals of no more than 400 words by 25th April to

Ann Rea anr12 at pitt.edu

and

Michael T. Williamson mtwill at iup.edu