[Msa-discuss] CFP: Modernist Immediacy After Media Studies MSA 16

Aleksandr Prigozhin ampri at uchicago.edu
Thu Apr 3 12:12:18 EDT 2014

CFP: Modernist Immediacy After Media Studies MSA 16

In his landmark study,/A Genealogy of Modernism/ (1984), Michael
Levenson traced the intellectual and literary travails of a "logic of
immediacy" at the heart of literary modernism. Revisiting Levenson's
thesis in the wake of the revolutions in media studies and in the study
of media in/of modernism, traced in such significant recent works of
scholarship as Mark Goble's /Beautiful Circuits/, Mark Seltzer'??s /True
Crime/, and Mark Wollaeger'??s /Modernism, Media, and Propaganda/, this
panel asks the following questions: how can we best reframe and
reexamine the modernist desire for immediacy that Levenson diagnosed
thirty years ago? Knowing what we know now about the modernists'?? close
intellectual and imaginative engagement with contemporary modes of
mediation and the dreams behind them, how should we change our
understanding of immediacy in modernity, both aesthetic and everyday?

Please send a 300-word abstract and a CV to ampri at uchicago.edu by Apr. 10

<mailto:ampri at uchicago.edu>