[Msa-discuss] Film/African studies search at Texas A&M

David McWhirter d-mcwhirter at tamu.edu
Fri Sep 27 16:43:48 EDT 2013

*Assistant, Associate or Full Professor of Africana Studies and Film
Studies*

The Africana Studies and Film Studies programs at Texas A&M University
invite applications for a tenure-track open rank position.Applicants
must have a Ph.D. in Africana Studies, Film Studies or related field.We
seek candidates with a strong research agenda and teaching record in
African cinema or African diaspora cinemas in the United States, the
United Kingdom, or Latin America.Secondary fields of specialization may
include ethnographic cinema and documentary cinema.The position will
have equal responsibilities in both programs; we expect the successful
candidate to be able to teach Francophone, Hispanic, Anglophone, and
Lusophone Black cinema, even if her or his specialty is in one or two of
these areas.The successful candidate will teach in the areas of her or
his specialization, as well as Introduction to Africana Studies,
Introduction to Film Analysis, and Film History. Texas A&M University is
a Research I institution, and the search committee is looking for
scholars dedicated to interdisciplinary research, undergraduate
teaching, graduate mentoring, and program development.

The Africana Studies Program and Film Studies Program are housed in the
College of Liberal Arts at Texas A&M University.The programs offer an
undergraduate minor and a graduate certificate in their respective
fields.Over 40 faculty members from such diverse areas as Anthropology,
Communication, English, History, Hispanic Studies, International
Studies, Philosophy, Performance Studies, Psychology, Sociology, and
Women's and Gender Studies teach courses for our programs.The joint
position in Africana and Film Studies represents the College's
commitment to the advancement of interdisciplinary research programs and
is evidence of the growing interest in these areas of study.

The search committee will begin reviewing applications on November
1.Send your application letter, curriculum vitae, three letters of
recommendation, and a 20-page writing sample to:

Juan Alonzo, Chair
Africana and Film Studies Search
4355 TAMU
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77843-4355

If you have questions, contact Juan Alonzo, Chair of Africana and Film
Studies Search: jjalonzo at tamu.edu <mailto:jjalonzo at tamu.edu>.

Texas A&M University and the Africana Studies and Film Studies Programs
are deeply committed to promoting a diverse educational environment
among our faculty and students.We are actively seeking applications from
individuals whose diverse backgrounds and perspectives will strengthen
our community.

David McWhirter
Department of English
Texas A&M University