[Msa-discuss] Assistant Professor Search at Berkeley: Comp Lit & English

Michael Lucey mlucey at berkeley.edu
Fri Sep 27 16:12:15 EDT 2013

The Departments of Comparative Literature and of English at UC Berkeley invite applications for a tenure-track position as Assistant Professor of Comparative Literature and English effective July 1, 2014. The field is Comparative Modernisms (European language traditions and English). We welcome all critical approaches, as long as the work has a comparative component. The successful candidate will be appointed 50% in each department, with teaching duties split evenly between the departments, and will be a dynamic teacher of introductory and advanced undergraduate courses as well as graduate seminars in their field and with cross-disciplinary focus.  The minimum qualification required for applicants for this position is that they be in the process of writing a doctoral dissertation (or the equivalent) at the time of application. Additional qualifications are completion of the Ph.D. or equivalent by July 1, 2014, a demonstrated ability to work in one or more languages/literatures besides English, and evidence of excellence in teaching and research.

To apply please go to the following link: https://aprecruit.berkeley.edu/apply/JPF00241 - and submit a cover letter, a c.v., a writing sample (no more than 30 pages), and three letters of reference by November 1, 2013. All letters will be treated as confidential per University of California policy and California state law. Please refer potential referees, including when letters are provided via a third party (i.e., dossier service or career center), to the UC Berkeley statement of confidentiality: http://apo.chance.berkeley.edu/evalltr.html. Late applications cannot be accepted. The University of California is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer, committed to excellence through diversity. We seek candidates whose research, teaching, or service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and inclusion in higher education. We are also committed to addressing the family needs of faculty, including dual career couples and single parents.  For more information please go the CALcierge web site at http://calcierge.berkeley.edu/.