[Msa-discuss] CFP: "20th Century Women’s Writing and the Capital(s) of Recuperation" Seminar at ACLA 2014

Sarah Cornish sarahcornish at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 16:22:31 EDT 2013

Dear Modernists,

Below, I have included the details for a seminar I'm co-organizing for ACLA
in March 2014. Please consider submitting an abstract and/or forward to
those who you believe might be interested.

*Call for Papers*

*20th Century Women’s Writing and the Capital(s) of Recuperation

*
*ACLA Annual Conference March 20-23rd, 2014 at New York University*

“What would happen if one woman told the truth about her life? The world
would split open.” Muriel Rukeyser’s often-cited sentiment unfortunately
resonates as strongly today as it did in 1968. In this seminar, we hope to
split open and illuminate alternate modes of access to the worlds of
capital in order to rethink its human, cultural and political investments
in twentieth century women’s literature. While capitals elicit fantasies of
a cosmopolitan ethos predicated upon inclusivity and community, we want to
trouble this narrative’s simplicity by questioning why women writers of the
twentieth century more often than not lacked the cultural purchase to
navigate cosmopolitan capitals around the world. We ask how this exclusion
was renegotiated and represented in disparate texts. Instead of engaging in
debates that can only ever aspire to equality, we want to understand more
clearly how exclusion constitutes capital, and, more importantly, how women
writers renegotiate and capitalize upon this exclusion.

We hope this line of questioning will invite papers about underexplored
women’s literature and underrepresented women writers so that we might also
reflect upon the enterprise of recuperation. Can we recuperate previously
lost, buried, and out of print texts by women writers of the twentieth
century without assimilating differences into a literary history that
privileges white, heteronormative patriarchy? How do conditions of literary
production and material, social, and cultural contexts inform our
understanding of these texts’ vitality? Ultimately, what are we
capitalizing upon when we recuperate women writers?

To submit an abstract, please visit the conference
website<http://acla.org/acla2014/>and choose "propose a paper" or
click
here <http://acla.org/acla2014/propose-a-paper/>. You will be prompted to
choose a seminar title when you submit your abstract. Be sure to choose
"20th Century Women’s Writing and the Capital(s) of Recuperation."

*Abstract Deadline: November 1, 2013*

Feel free to email me (sarahcornish at gmail.com or sarah.cornish at unco.edu) or
Peter Murray (pmurray24 at fordham.edu) with any questions.

Warm regards,