[Msa-discuss] ACLA 2014: (Re)conceptualizing Global "Capitals" in Modernist Studies (Deadline: November 1, 2013)

Adam Meehan ameehan at email.arizona.edu
Sat Oct 5 12:20:31 EDT 2013

Colleagues,

I'd like to invite you all to submit a proposal for this seminar that I'm
organizing for ACLA 2014. Please feel free to email me if you have any
questions.

Best,

Adam Meehan

ACLA 2014 (New York, NY): March 20-23, 2014

Seminar: (Re)conceptualizing Global “Capitals” in Modernist Studies

Seminar Leader: Adam Meehan (The University of Arizona)
ameehan at email.arizona.edu

Deadline for proposals: November 1, 2013

Conference Website: http://acla.org/acla2014/

Note: You must submit your papers through the ACLA website submission form;
you will select the name of this seminar from the drop down menu:

http://www.acla.org/submit/

At the turn of the twentieth century, the world’s three most populous
cities were London, New York, and Paris. Not surprisingly, these cities
have historically dominated conversations about modernism. One might even
argue that they are the de facto capitals of modernism. But there has been
much recent movement in modernist studies—exemplified by the publication of
The Oxford Handbook of Global Modernisms in 2012—to expand the purview of
the field outside of Europe and the United States.

In keeping with the 2014 ACLA Annual Meeting theme of “Capitals,” this
seminar seeks to further this movement by exploring the role of “capital”
(broadly conceived) in relation to the study of global modernism.
Submissions may consider the following:

- Where might we locate alternative “capitals” of modernism outside Europe
and the United States?

- How did the flow of Western capital around the globe affect developing
countries and their artistic output in the first half of the twentieth
century?

- How did the influx of non-Western writers and artists into major European
and American cities influence endemic artistic communities?

- In what ways was global modernist artistic production affected by Western
cultural, political, and/or economic hegemony? While this seminar is
particularly interested in submissions focusing on writers and artists from
traditionally neglected regions, it also welcomes reevaluations of more
“canonical” artists and works in the context of issues related to global
modernism.