[Msa-discuss] Queries concerning modernist, feminist journal

Cathryn L. M. Setz cathrynsetz at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 04:04:26 EDT 2013

BLANCHE MATTHIAS (in media, fascinating writer, forgotten art critic)

DOROTHY BOILLOTAT (later Donnolly: extraordinary and forgotten prose
writer, hugely influenced by surrealists)

MARIUS LYLE (real name Una Maud Lyle Smyth: punchy, insightful commentator
on modernist literary culture, also influenced by surrealists)

-- in fact, these three women are all Americans living in Paris and among
the earliest to read and consider Francophone surrealism, and to a certain
extent offer creative responses to materials as they were translated in
magazines like *The Little Review, Broom *and *Secession*. This is an
under-researched area anyway, although Susan Rosenbaum has recently opened
up the field considerably, but to my mind these women were producing among
the most interesting texts in their milieu. All published in the magazine *
transition* (and elsewhere), and all need critical attention.

I also second Joanne Winning's dream topic -- Thelma Wood

Cathryn Setz
Research Fellow, King's College London