[Msa-discuss] Newspapers, Magazines, and Advertisers in Modernist Fiction

Georgia Smith gcs5 at students.uwf.edu
Tue Jun 18 19:26:32 EDT 2013

These may be obvious, but Ned Winsett from Age of Innocence is a journalist
who has "devolved" to editing a women's weekly:
"Winsett was not a journalist by choice. He was a pure man of letters,
untimely born in a world that had no need of letters; but after publishing
one volume of brief and exquisite literary appreciations, of which one
hundred and twenty copies were sold, thirty given away, and the balance
eventually destroyed by the publishers (as per contract) to make room for
more marketable material, he had abandoned his real calling, and taken a
sub-editorial job on a women's weekly, where fashion-plates and paper
patterns alternated with New England love-stories and advertisements of
temperance drinks."

And Ford Maddox Ford's Good Soldier is littered with references to daily
papers, and has the following passage that represents Flroence as
contaminated by popular women's weeklies: "she wasn't real; she was just a
mass of talk out of guidebooks, of drawings out of fashion plates."

Most obvious is Gerty from Joyce's Nausicaa episode of Ulysses, and her
consumption of the Princess's Novelettes periodicals.

Best,
Georgia Clarkson Smith

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 5:55 PM, Matt Huculak <jhuculak at uvic.ca> wrote:

>  Hello, everyone,
>
>  I'm looking for instances of newspapers, magazines, and advertising
> represented in novels and short stories in modernism. I'm building a
> spreadsheet and would welcome contributions from the membership.
>
>  For example, in H. G. Wells's novel, _Tono-Bungay_, Ponderevo buys a
> literary magazine called the "Sacred Grove." In Dorothy Sayers's, _Murder
> Must Advertise_, the action takes place in an advertising agency. Of
> course, Leopold Bloom visits the Freeman Newspaper office in the "Aeolus"
> episode of _Ulysses_.
>
>  If you know of an instance where a periodical, publisher, periodical
> writer (including reviewers), or advertiser plays a role (minor or
> significant) in the plot of a story published between 1890 and 1950, please
> let me know. If you would like to contact me directly, I can be reached at
> jhuculak at uvic.ca
>
>  Cheers,
> M.
>
>  Dr. J. Matthew Huculak
> Co-Director, Modernist Versions Project (modernistversions.org)
> Postdoctoral Research Fellow, University of Victoria (uvic.ca)
> Webmaster, The Modernist Studies Association (msa.press.jhu.edu)

Georgia Clarkson Smith
Department of English & World Languages
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway