[Msa-discuss] Newspapers, Magazines, and Advertisers in Modernist Fiction

Matt Huculak jhuculak at uvic.ca
Tue Jun 18 18:55:27 EDT 2013

Hello, everyone,

I'm looking for instances of newspapers, magazines, and advertising represented in novels and short stories in modernism. I'm building a spreadsheet and would welcome contributions from the membership.

For example, in H. G. Wells's novel, _Tono-Bungay_, Ponderevo buys a literary magazine called the "Sacred Grove." In Dorothy Sayers's, _Murder Must Advertise_, the action takes place in an advertising agency. Of course, Leopold Bloom visits the Freeman Newspaper office in the "Aeolus" episode of _Ulysses_.

If you know of an instance where a periodical, publisher, periodical writer (including reviewers), or advertiser plays a role (minor or significant) in the plot of a story published between 1890 and 1950, please let me know. If you would like to contact me directly, I can be reached at jhuculak at uvic.ca<mailto:jhuculak at uvic.ca>

Cheers,
M.

Dr. J. Matthew Huculak
Co-Director, Modernist Versions Project (modernistversions.org<http://modernistversions.org/>)