[Msa-discuss] Tender Buttons?

Shannon McRae Shannon.McRae at fredonia.edu
Wed Feb 20 13:29:40 EST 2013

One thing I did for a warmup teaching that is having students describe an
object in their immediate environment, in detail, without nouns if
possible. That was fun, but led to grumbles like "well, any kindergartner
can write like this."

The real breakthrough came though, letting students just take a piece of
whatever in Tender Buttons they wanted to, and do something with it. It was
in this way that one student, the class, (and I) discovered that "Susie
Asado" is all staccato beat--not perfectly flamenco, but  enough for a
cheerful classroom epiphany.

Shannon McRae,
SUNY Fredonia