[Msa-discuss] Next NYC Modernism Seminar meeting Feb. 22 led by J. Allred

nyc modernism nycmodernismseminar at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 11:51:19 EST 2013

All scholars are invited to the next meeting of the NYC Modernism Seminar, on
Friday, Feb. 22, from 4-6 pm.  Our guest presenter will be Jeff
Allred<http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/english/jeff-allred/jeff-allred>
, Associate Professor of English at CUNY Hunter and author of *American
Modernism and Depression
Documentary<http://www.amazon.com/American-Modernism-Depression-Documentary-Allred/dp/0195335686/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266436430&sr=8-2>
,** *who will be leading us through a discussion of Franco Moretti's
writings about modernist *bildungsroman*.  Contact
nycmodernismseminar at gmail.com for the discussion materials.

We'll meet at the Lincoln Center Atrium on Broadway between 62/63rd in
Manhattan (http://atrium.lincolncenter.org/), where light meals and
stimulating libations will be available for purchase.

--
*Founded in 2009, the NYC Modernism Seminar is an interdisciplinary forum
for NYC-area scholars of the modernist period to read and discuss current

Meetings:
We meet sporadically but regularly, informally but rigorously, usually
discussing one or two article/chapter/essay-length texts at each session.

Materials:
Materials are suggested by seminar participants.  We forward the readings
to the group 1-2 weeks in advance of each session.

Please submit your suggestions and we will make a good-faith attempt to
schedule them all.  We mainly focus on recent academic articles in
professional journals, chapters from recent academic books, and re-readings
of parts or wholes of canonical critical works.  Other materials include
New York novels and films from the modernist period.  We occasionally
discuss a piece–finished or unfinished–with its author. *

*Facilitator Guidelines:*
*Those who submit materials should be ready to*
*1. provide an electronic version of the text*
*2. offer a brief oral summary (quite informal is quite fine)*
*3. facilitate discussion*

*Facebook user?  Find our page there:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/NYC-Modernism-Seminar/125898597449618*
*Twitter feed: @nycmodernism*