[Msa-discuss] Ezra Pound Society - two sessions at the ALA 2014 in Washington DC

Roxana Preda Roxana.Preda at ed.ac.uk
Sun Dec 8 05:58:05 EST 2013

Call for papers

Panels organized by the Ezra Pound Society at the American Literature
Association Conference in Washington DC, May 22-25, 2014:

Ezra Pound and Other World Cultures - organized by Prof. Robert Kibler.

"All ages are contemporaneous? especially in literature, Ezra Pound
wrote in 1910. To be sure, his life work drew a vast array of other
peoples, their worlds, their ideas, into his own contemporaneous
literary universe. We know the people, the places, and the ideas drawn
together. But it works the other way too, for Pound enters into
interpretive dialogues with other worlds, understood not just as parts
of his own vision, but also as entities discrete unto themselves.
In this call for papers we seek scholars, artists, and performers to
undertake an examination, broadly considered, of other-world cultures
engaged by Pound. What various ends do his appropriations of them
serve, and how is his own literary universe co-opted, disrupted, or
transformed by the exchange? We are here in search of new meanings and
fresh paths. Please send your 350 word abstracts as Word documents
both to Robert Kibler, panel organizer, at
Robert.kibler at minotstateu.edu, and to Demetres Tryphonopoulos,
Secretary, Ezra Pound Society, at demetres at unb.ca, no later than
January 10, 2014.

Ezra Pound and Archibald MacLeish - organized by Demetres Tryphonopoulos.

The panel will discuss any aspect of Pound?s relationship with
Archibald MacLeish, including their correspondence, Pound?s reception
of MacLeish?s poetry, and MacLeish?s role in ending Pound?s
incarceration at St. Elizabeths. Please send your 350 word abstracts
as Word documents to Demetres Tryphonopoulos, Secretary, Ezra Pound
Society, at demetres at unb.ca no later than January 10, 2014.

For information on the ALA and its 2014 meeting, please see the ALA
website at http://alaconf.org.

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.