[Msa-discuss] Global Modernisms - special issue of Literature Compass--invitation

ldoyle ldoyle at english.umass.edu
Sun Sep 30 22:38:08 EDT 2012

Dear Modernist Colleagues,

You may be interested in engaging with a just-published special issue of
the online journal /Literature Compass/ devoted to the /Oxford Handbook
of Global Modernisms/ edited by Mark Wollaeger with Matt Eatough.
/Literature Compass/ Chief Editor, Regenia Gagnier, has launched the
journal's "Global Circulation Project" as a special, ongoing department
of the journal, and the special issue on /Global Modernisms/ is part of
that project.  For this issue, she and I asked a number of comparative
literature, postcolonial, and modernist scholars to read and comment on
the Oxford /Global Modernisms/ collection. *Please consider joining this
online project and conversation, and* *please do forward this message to
any listservs or communities you think would be interested. *

We invite you not only to read but also to join the conversation. That
is, in addition to simply publishing the contributors' responses to the
collection, /Literature Compass/ invites readers who have read (at least
some of) the /Global Modernisms /collection to post their comments,
engaging with the special-issue responses specifically, as well as with
the collection. *So as to give some shape to the discussion, each week
one of the response-essays will be featured, beginning  Monday October
1st, with Supriya Chaudhuri's  "Translation and World Literature." *
Wiley-Blackwell has agreed to make access to the essays and blog
conversation free and open to the public, a reflection of their
excitement about the conversation that they hope to foster.

Here is the link to the special issue:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/lico.2012.9.issue-9/issuetoc
.  You will see that the issue includes an introduction to frame the
discussion as well as /responses from Professors Supriya Chaudhuri,
Ellleke Boehmer, Steven Yao, Paul Young, Ning Wang, and Katie
Trumpener./  Please keep in mind that this week we invite comments and
dialogue specifically on Professor Chaudhuri's essay  [
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/lic3.12003/pdf ]  Once you
open the essay, you will see the "Comments" link in the upper right-hand
corner of the page.

This conversation will continue until all six response essays have been
featured,  one week for each essay (in the order in which the authors
are listed above and published on the site).  Depending on how the
conversation develops, we may consider a second special issue with
further full response-essays.

We hope you join the conversation so as to build a lively, frank,
respectful dialogue about the developing field of global modernist
studies, including as it intersects with other conversations in literary
and cultural studies and global studies.

Yours,
Laura and Regenia

Laura Doyle
Professor of English
University of Massachusetts-Amherst
WEBSITE:http://people.umass.edu/ldoyle/index.htm

Regenia Gagnier
Professor of English
???.???
Editor in Chief, /Literature Compass /and /The Global Circulation
Project //http://literature-compass.com/global-circulation-project//
Senior Research Fellow, ESRC Centre for
Genomics in Society (Egenis) www.genomicsnetwork.ac.uk/egenis/
<http://www.genomicsnetwork.ac.uk/egenis/>