[Msa-discuss] Jed Esty at Modernism Seminar 9/27

Reynolds, Paige preynold at holycross.edu
Thu Sep 20 09:44:41 EDT 2012

Dear Colleagues,

Please join the Modernism Seminar of the Mahindra Humanities Center at
Harvard as we begin the seventh year of this incarnation of the Seminar. On
Thursday, 27 September, at 6:00 p.m. Jed Esty will speak on:

 *“**Occidentalism Revisited: Conrad, Nabokov, *

*& the *

*Pornography of the West**”*

**

The presentation will take place in Room 133 of the Barker Center.

*Jed Esty*, Professor of English at Penn, was co-chair of the Modernism
Seminar in its twentieth-century incarnation. We welcome him back! He is
the author of *Unseasonable Youth: Modernism, Colonialism, and the Fiction
of Development<http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/LiteratureEnglish/WorldLiterature/?view=usa&ci=9780199857968>
*(Oxford 2011) and* A Shrinking Island: Modernism and National Culture in
England <http://press.princeton.edu/titles/7619.html>* (Princeton 2004). He
is coeditor of a 2012 special issue of *MLQ* on the topic of realism in
postcolonial and ethnic US literatures; and coeditor of *Postcolonial
Studies and Beyond* (Duke 2005). His essays have appeared in *Modern
Fiction Studies, Victorian Studies, Modernism/Modernity, ELH, ALH,
Contemporary Literature, Narrative, Novel, and the Yale Journal of Criticism
*. His talk is from his work in progress, a study tentatively entitled *Ages
of Innocence:  Culture and Literature from Pax Britannica to the American
Century*.**

There is free parking near the HHC at the Broadway Garage, on Felton
between Broadway and Cambridge Street. Just tell the attendant that you're
participating in an event at the HHC. Normally the attendant is welcoming,
as long as it's after 5:00 p.m., even if we are erroneously not on the good
list.

We hope you'll be able to attend the session, which, as always, includes
discussion after the presentation.

Future sessions of the Modernism Seminar this academic year:

Tuesday, 9 October, 6:00 p.m. Gregory Castle, Arizona State University,
from his book manuscript on the Irish Revival, modernism, and temporality:

"Modernism and Misrecognition: Yeats and the Temporalities of the Irish
Revival"
Note: In the Kresge Room, not our usual room, but a pleasant one!

Tuesday, 13 November, 6:00 p.m. Jonathan Foltz, Boston University, a
talkfocusing on cinematic formalism,
from his book manuscript on modernism and cinema. In Barker 133

In the spring: Hilary Schor, USC; Lisa Fluet, College of the Holy Cross;
and a colleague who will likely speak on graphic modernisms. Watch for the
details!

Details about the Center, including a calendar of events, are available at:
http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~humcentr/.

Best wishes,

Paige Reynolds, College of the Holy Cross
preynold at holycross.edu
http://college.holycross.edu/faculty/preynold/

John Paul Riquelme, Boston University
jpriquel at bu.edu