[Msa-discuss] Senator Coburn on the Modernist Journals Project

James Murphy jstephenmurphy at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 10:09:57 EDT 2012

Dear Colleagues,

Senator Tom Coburn of Oklahoma this week identified an NEH grant to the
Modernist Journals Project, which will be used to digitize McClure’s, The
Smart Set, The Masses, Camera Work,and The Seven Arts, as one of 100
examples of government waste.  At the end of the day, the MJP matters very
little, I suspect, to the Senator, but this attack strikes me as an
opportunity to reaffirm the importance of modernist scholarship, especially
of a digital nature, to our students, the public and Senator Coburn.  For
more on the issue, see
https://magmods.wordpress.com/2012/10/19/first-big-bird-now-little-magazines-sen-tom-coburn-goes-after-the-mjp/
.

Best,