[Msa-discuss] ACLA 2013 Seminar CFP: Psychologies of Space in Twentieth and Twenty-First Century Literature and Culture

Adam Meehan ameehan at email.arizona.edu
Fri Oct 19 15:01:05 EDT 2012

Colleagues,

I would like to invite your submissions for a seminar I'm organizing at the
2013 American Comparative Literature Association (ACLA) conference, which
will be held on April 5-7, 2013 at the University of Toronto. While the
seminar isn't strictly modernist, it concerns issues relevant to modernist
studies and I would love to have some papers concerned with modernism. Below
is the description:

Psychologies of Space in Twentieth and Twenty-First Century Literature and
Culture

Our relationship to space has evolved more radically since the turn of the
twentieth century than in the rest of human history previous. Despite
remarkable concurrent progress in the field of psychology, however,
comparatively little has been said about how notions of space influence
human consciousness.

With a focus on literature and culture of the twentieth and twenty-first
centuries, this seminar will explore the ways in which writers have
understood and represented human psychology in relation to space. Has the
literal and/or figurative compression of space created new kinds of
psychological stress on the individual? What are the psychological effects
of cyberspace and its tendency to act as a repository and outlet for our
thoughts, emotions, and desires? We frequently talk about the ways in which
we manipulate the spaces around us, but how do those spaces actually affect
us psychologically?

Submissions from any theoretical perspective are welcome, as are those that
treat either individual texts/concepts or ones that take broader historical
approaches, as long as they maintain a primary focus on issues related to
psychology. Contributors may draw upon defined disciplines like
environmental psychology, but are also free to consider the work of figures
like Kristeva, Foucault, Lacan, Žižek, and others whose work tends toward
transdisciplinarity. While one might consider philosophically-oriented
texts like Gaston Bachelard’s *La poétique de l’espace* (1958), Henri
Lefebvre’s *La Production de l’espace* (1974), or Georges Perec’s *Espèces
d’espaces* (1974), the above directive regarding adherence to the seminar
theme should be kept in mind.

If you would like to submit a proposal, you must do so through the ACLA
paper proposal submission form, which can be found here:
http://acla.org/submit/index.php

Proposals must be received by November 15.

Here is the conference website if you'd like to find out more information:
http://www.acla.org/acla2013/

Please feel free to email me with any questions. Thank you.
Best,

Adam Meehan
The University of Arizona