[Msa-discuss] Oscar Wilde and the French Decadents: Open Online Course

Petra Dierkes-Thrun petradt at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 19:01:28 EDT 2012

Dear MSA colleagues:

This quarter, I am teaching a Comparative Literature and French seminar
entitled "Oscar Wilde and the French Decadents," in which we create online
contents and experiment with online learning tools and new exercises geared
specifically at exploring the digital medium for close reading. The course
is not a MOOC (in that there are no essays or quizzes for the public to
submit), but rather a blended class that has some of the open, public,
interactive features I have come to appreciate in recent online pedagogy.
It's a M(inimalist)OOC, if you will, that is dedicated to exploration,
running parallel and interacting with my regular Stanford class.

Please stop by and take a look.  My students and I would be thrilled if you
or your own students cared to participate with a comment or via upcoming
Twitter discussions (#digwilde; I am @petradt).

Our course can be found at
www.wildedecadents.wordpress.com

and I will continue blogging about the experience from the traditional
humanities teacher's point of view at
www.literatureilluminations.org

I also recently gave/participated in a workshop on humanities and MOOCs at
Duke University.  I'd be very interested in corresponding with others who
are also interested in thinking through what kinds of online things make
sense for the traditional humanities goals of close reading, critical
thinking, and critical writing, and which don't.  (The Duke talk, in which
I speak about this class, is at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uUPZQOxPXn8.)

Thank you for your time and consideration!  All comments on the developing
course and humanities and online education issues are very welcome and
eagerly anticipated.

Best wishes,

Petra Dierkes-Thrun
Comparative Literature, Stanford University