[Msa-discuss] Job Opportunity at West Virginia University for a Senior Scholar (or a dvanced Associate)

Lisa Weihman lisaweihman at juno.com
Mon Oct 8 12:24:38 EDT 2012

Please help spread the word about this position.

THE GEORGE AND JULIA BATES WELCH JACKSON, MARY M. JACKSON AND JULIA BATES JACKSON NICHOLS CHAIR OF ENGLISH
www.english.wvu.edu
The Department of English at West Virginia University invites applications and nominations for the Jackson Chair of English in literature, rhetoric, or cultural studies.  We seek a dynamic scholar who will contribute significantly to our graduate programs, as well as teach occasionally in our undergraduate program; the teaching load is 1-1.  Area of specialization is less important than demonstrated excellence in research and teaching.  The department is particularly interested in senior or rapidly-rising mid-career scholars of national reputation and with research agendas capable of attracting graduate students and external funding. The West Virginia University Department of English maintains programs in Literature, Creative Writing, and Professional Writing and Editing, as well as the West Virginia Dialect Project and the Center for Literary Computing.  It is of highest importance that the Jackson Professor be able to work across the many areas of strength in our department and build synergies between them.  The position entails significant service and leadership responsibilities and carries benefits commensurate with an endowed professorship at West Virginia University.
Applications from advanced associate professors are welcome.  This appointment has a starting date of August 16, 2013.  For possible interviews at MLA, initial review will begin November 1, 2012; however, applications will be considered until the position is filled.  West Virginia University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity.

The department welcomes nominations for the Jackson Chair.  Applications should include a letter of interest and a c.v. that lists contact information for external reviewers who are able to speak to the quality of the applicant’s scholarship.  Direct nominations and applications should be mailed to:  James Harms, Chair, Jackson Search Committee, Department of English, PO Box 6296, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV  26506-6296.  Email applications consisting of a single PDF file can be sent to jharms at wvu.edu