[Msa-discuss] Modernist Journals Project

Carrie Noland cjnoland at uci.edu
Fri Mar 30 19:09:56 EDT 2012

Hi all,

Sorry, I didn't realize that MJP only goes up to 1922 (1923, actually).  I
thought --transition-- was there, but it's not.

I don't mean to dampen the excitement.  It's great that MJP is
digitalizing Anglophone reviews, that Gallica is running alongside, and
now Blue Mountain is joining in. I'm very pleased.

I'm just responding from my sense, one I've had for a long time, that the
MSA is primarily an Anglophone organization.  My sensitivity to this issue
comes from being constantly at war with my campus administration to keep
foreign lang/lit programs alive.  Many of us who teach in foreign lang/lit
departments find ourselves either constantly on the defensive, down-sized,
or wiped off the map entirely.

Thank goodness the MLA is taking charge of this issue.  But could the MSA
perhaps bring it up as well?  Could a conversation be started on the
importance, the really huge importance, to scholars of modernism of a
knowledge of other modern languages?

We could really use the help of our Anglophone colleagues at this moment.

Sincerely--and with my best wishes,
Carrie