[Msa-discuss] Embroidery in Modernist Works

Shyamal Bagchee sbagchee at ualberta.ca
Wed Jun 27 03:26:55 EDT 2012

also, perhaps in her 'helen in egypt' where helen's torn veil (?) figures
prominently.

On 27 June 2012 00:28, Helen Sword <h.sword at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:

>  Images of spinning, weaving, and embroidery can be found in many of
> H.D.’s works, especially from the early 1940s, when she was coping with the
> stress of the London Blitz by working elaborate tapestries – or doing
> “typestry stitching,” as she wrote to Viola Jordan in a fortuitous
> misspelling (letter of 28 April 1942, Beinecke Library).    See for example
> in *Trilogy*:****
>
> ** **
>
> we are the keepers of the secret,
> the carriers, the spinners
>
> of the rare intangible thread
> that binds all humanity
>
> to ancient wisdom.****
>
> ** **
>
> Hence the title of Susan Friedman’s book *Penelope’s Web* (“It is
> obviously Penelope’s web that I am weaving” – *Tribute to Freud* 153).
> For more on H.D.’s tapestries, see Perdita Schaffner’s introduction to *The
> Gift*.****
>
> ** **
>
> Best of luck with your project!****
>
> ** **
>
> Helen Sword****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>   ------------------------------

Shyamal Bagchee, PhD, FRSA
Professor of English and Film Studies
University of Alberta
Humanities Centre 3-5
Edmonton, AB  Canada  T6G 2E5
Telephone: 780-492-4632; Facsimile: 780-492-8142
website:  <www.ualberta.ca/~sbagchee <http://www.ualberta.ca/%7Esbagchee>>
***********************************
The price of wisdom
is too high,
but folly is expensive too.
Strike a bargain with me, Lord.
I'm not a man of ample means.---Nissim Ezekiel

This communication is intended solely for the addressee and may contain
personal and/or privileged information.  Access to this e-mail by anyone
else is unauthorized.  If you are not the intended recipient, please do not
copy, disclose, distribute, or take action on the communication.  If it has
been received in error, please contact me and delete and/or destroy the
communication.