[Msa-discuss] Embroidery in Modernist Works

Shyamal Bagchee sbagchee at ualberta.ca
Wed Jun 27 03:25:01 EDT 2012

and of course w.b. yeats's 'a coat' "[c]overed with embroideries/Out of old
mythologies/From heel to throat"  Lily Yeats's embroidery skills may have
figured in this line some where--though of course in odd ways.

not strictly literary, gandhiji's charka spinning revolution may get in
there somewhere; he admired ruskin and, if i recall correctly, spent some
time in The Brantwood.

once one moves out of the strictly literary sphere one can find important
connections between modernist impulses and the revival of traditional
crafts, including this one,  in freedom-seeking nations.  i have examined
some aspects of incorporation or co-option of modernist notions of art by
'artistic' practioners of embroider in bengal.

i better stop here before i go too far afield.

best,

shyamal bagchee

On 26 June 2012 21:12, Erin McNellis <emcnelli at uci.edu> wrote:

> Oh, and speaking of sexualized sewing, there is of course the scene in
> Ethan Frome (chapter 5) where Ethan dares to touch Mattie's sewing:
> "Leaning forward, he touched the farther end of the strip of brown stuff
> that she was hemming."
>
> And it's less strictly sewing, but in Wharton's The House of Mirth, Lily
> works for awhile in a millinery.
>
> Also, Mrs. Ramsay knits a stocking for the lighthousekeeper's boy in To
> The Lighthouse!
>
> Best,
> Erin McNellis
>
> On Jun 26, 2012, at 9:49 PM, Jane Marie Garrity wrote:
>
> There are some wonderful scenes of homoeroticized sewing in Sylvia
> Townsend Warner's Mr. Fortune's Maggot.
> Jane Garrity
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jun 26, 2012, at 10:40 PM, Meghan Marie Hammond <mmh340 at nyu.edu> wrote:
>
> I actually just presented a paper on this topic last week. Embroidery and
> sewing pop up a lot in Dorothy Richardson's Pointed Roofs. Embroidery also
> plays a considerable role in the works of Ling Shuhua, particularly in her
> story "The Embroidered Pillows."
>
> Somebody recently pointed out to me that Lily Yeats was a prominent
> embroiderer.
>
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 8:22 PM, Dennis Coyle <dcoyle at drew.edu> wrote:
>
>> I may be throwing to wide a net with the following examples in Willa
>> Cather's work and though she was known to wield her pen like a battle ax,
>> but a number of her character's knew well how to wield a pin...
>>
>>  I believe Claude's mother at the end of One of Ours is sewing.
>> Her short story "Old Mrs. Harris" definitely involves an unfinished
>> embroidery hoop.
>> There are the dummies in the professor's attic office and Augusta's work
>> in general in The Professor's House as well as references to the Bayeux
>> tapestries.
>> Shadows on the Rock has a key story involving the miraculous repair of a
>> spinning wheel.
>> Cristina Gioricelli also has a fascinating piece in Cather Studies volume
>> 8 that intimately connects Cather's writing to weaving in a number of ways.
>>
>> Best of luck with the project. Looks like there are a myriad of
>> possibilities here.
>>
>> Dennis Coyle
>> Drew University
>>
>> On Jun 26, 2012, at 7:17 PM, holcom31 at msu.edu wrote:
>>
>> > I hope I'm not being too obvious (although I don't see anyone else
>> having mentioned it), but you might look at Clarissa Dalloway's mending of
>> her dress in Woolf's Mrs Dalloway.  Also, Septimus' wife is a milliner, and
>> is mentioned sewing decorations onto hats.
>> >
>> > Best,
>> > Brian Holcomb

> --
> Meghan Marie Hammond, Ph.D.
> Department of English
> New York University

Shyamal Bagchee, PhD, FRSA
Professor of English and Film Studies
University of Alberta
Humanities Centre 3-5
Edmonton, AB  Canada  T6G 2E5
Telephone: 780-492-4632; Facsimile: 780-492-8142
website:  <www.ualberta.ca/~sbagchee <http://www.ualberta.ca/%7Esbagchee>>
***********************************
The price of wisdom
is too high,
but folly is expensive too.
Strike a bargain with me, Lord.
I'm not a man of ample means.---Nissim Ezekiel

This communication is intended solely for the addressee and may contain
personal and/or privileged information.  Access to this e-mail by anyone
else is unauthorized.  If you are not the intended recipient, please do not
copy, disclose, distribute, or take action on the communication.  If it has
been received in error, please contact me and delete and/or destroy the
communication.