[Msa-discuss] Embroidery in Modernist Works

Barbara Green Barbara.J.Green.15 at nd.edu
Tue Jun 26 20:08:28 EDT 2012

In Kay Boyle's My Next Bride (1934), members of an artists' community sell hand woven scarves and tunics.

Jessie Fauset's The Chinaberry Tree features a seamstress/clothing designer, I believe.

Katherine Mansfield's "New Dresses" Rhythm, October 1912 (available online via the Modernist Journals Project) is organized in part around the fate of a homemade cashmere dress.

Netta Syrett's New Woman story "Thy Heart's Desire" (Yellow Book July 1894, reprinted in Nelson A New Woman Reader) shows some embroidery.