[Msa-discuss] Embroidery in Modernist Works

Erin McNellis emcnelli at uci.edu
Tue Jun 26 23:12:42 EDT 2012

Oh, and speaking of sexualized sewing, there is of course the scene in
Ethan Frome (chapter 5) where Ethan dares to touch Mattie's sewing:
"Leaning forward, he touched the farther end of the strip of brown
stuff that she was hemming."

And it's less strictly sewing, but in Wharton's The House of Mirth,
Lily works for awhile in a millinery.

Also, Mrs. Ramsay knits a stocking for the lighthousekeeper's boy in
To The Lighthouse!

Best,
Erin McNellis