[Msa-discuss] Embroidery in Modernist Works

Meghan Marie Hammond mmh340 at nyu.edu
Tue Jun 26 22:40:33 EDT 2012

I actually just presented a paper on this topic last week. Embroidery and
sewing pop up a lot in Dorothy Richardson's Pointed Roofs. Embroidery also
plays a considerable role in the works of Ling Shuhua, particularly in her
story "The Embroidered Pillows."

Somebody recently pointed out to me that Lily Yeats was a prominent
embroiderer.

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 8:22 PM, Dennis Coyle <dcoyle at drew.edu> wrote:

> I may be throwing to wide a net with the following examples in Willa
> Cather's work and though she was known to wield her pen like a battle ax,
> but a number of her character's knew well how to wield a pin...
>
>  I believe Claude's mother at the end of One of Ours is sewing.
> Her short story "Old Mrs. Harris" definitely involves an unfinished
> embroidery hoop.
> There are the dummies in the professor's attic office and Augusta's work
> in general in The Professor's House as well as references to the Bayeux
> tapestries.
> Shadows on the Rock has a key story involving the miraculous repair of a
> spinning wheel.
> Cristina Gioricelli also has a fascinating piece in Cather Studies volume
> 8 that intimately connects Cather's writing to weaving in a number of ways.
>
> Best of luck with the project. Looks like there are a myriad of
> possibilities here.
>
> Dennis Coyle
> Drew University
>
> On Jun 26, 2012, at 7:17 PM, holcom31 at msu.edu wrote:
>
> > I hope I'm not being too obvious (although I don't see anyone else
> having mentioned it), but you might look at Clarissa Dalloway's mending of
> her dress in Woolf's Mrs Dalloway.  Also, Septimus' wife is a milliner, and
> is mentioned sewing decorations onto hats.
> >
> > Best,
> > Brian Holcomb
> >
> > Quoting Jennifer Williams <jhwilliams at calvin.edu>:
> >
> > > Dear All,
> > >
> > > I'm trying to work through an idea about embroidery and sewing in the
> > > works of modernist writers.  I honestly don't know if this is a broad
> > > question or not, but does anyone know of works that include
> > > references to or scenes of embroidery and sewing?
> > >
> > > Thanks very much,
> > >
> > > Jennifer

> > > Jennifer Hardy Williams
> > >
> > > Asst. Professor of English