[Msa-discuss] Embroidery in Modernist Works

Dennis Coyle dcoyle at drew.edu
Tue Jun 26 20:22:39 EDT 2012

I may be throwing to wide a net with the following examples in Willa Cather's work and though she was known to wield her pen like a battle ax, but a number of her character's knew well how to wield a pin...

 I believe Claude's mother at the end of One of Ours is sewing.
Her short story "Old Mrs. Harris" definitely involves an unfinished embroidery hoop.
There are the dummies in the professor's attic office and Augusta's work in general in The Professor's House as well as references to the Bayeux tapestries.
Shadows on the Rock has a key story involving the miraculous repair of a spinning wheel.
Cristina Gioricelli also has a fascinating piece in Cather Studies volume 8 that intimately connects Cather's writing to weaving in a number of ways.

Best of luck with the project. Looks like there are a myriad of possibilities here.

Dennis Coyle
Drew University