[Msa-discuss] Embroidery in Modernist Works

Jeffrey McCarthy jmccarthy at westminstercollege.edu
Tue Jun 26 18:01:29 EDT 2012

This makes me think of Conrad's Fates ... the two knitting women who haunt Marlow's memories of Europe:
"Often far away there I thought of these two, guarding the door of Darkness, knitting black wool as for a warm pall, one introducing, introducing continuously to the unknown, the other scrutinizing the cheery and foolish faces with unconcerned old eyes. Ave! Old knitter of black wool. Morituri te salutant. Not many of those she looked at ever saw her again"

+++++++++++++++++
Jeffrey M. McCarthy
Chair of Environmental Studies
Professor of English

Westminster College
1840 South 1300 East
Salt Lake City, Utah 84105
(801) 832 2374
>>> "Churchill, Suzanne"  06/26/12 2:56 PM >>>
I would check out Edith Wharton's The Decoration of Houses. Marjorie Allen Seiffert's "Love Poems in Autumn" talks about various textiles and decorations for the modern home, but I can't remember if embroidery is mentioned. Poet and artist Marguerite Zorach began making tapestries, rather than painting in oils, after she had children to care for.

Suzanne W. Churchill
Professor of English
Davidson College
PO Box 6927