[Msa-discuss] NYC Modernism Seminar August Meeting

Jennifer Gilchrist jengilchrist at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 23:32:11 EDT 2012

NYC Modernism Seminar's next meeting will be held on August 2 at 2 pm
at the David Rubenstein Atrium, Broadway bet. 62nd and 63rd St, where
snacks and stimulating beverages are available for purchase.

We will be discussing The Young And Evil (1933), a novel of gay
culture in 1920s New York by Charles Henri Ford and Parker Tyler.
Order a copy and join us.

http://www.metronomepress.com/books/books2.html

	The Young And Evil
by Charles Henri Ford and Parker Tyler

At last it’s available again! The book that Gertrude Stein was mad
about, and that was originally published by Obelisk Press in Paris, in
1933. Written by American poets, Charles Henri Ford and Parker Tyler,
THE YOUNG AND EVIL tells the story of Julian and Karel and their
friends, somewhere between the gay bars and poetry scenes of Greenwich
Village, and the drag balls of Harlem. This queer coterie spends much
of the time getting drunk at parties, swapping beds and apartments,
avoiding the hostile attention of police and sailors that cruise the
parks, meeting up at all-night ‘coffeepots’, generally looking
fabulous in make-up and gowns, and – occasionally – creating art. A
masterpiece proudly brought back to you by Metronome Press.

--
Founded in 2009, the NYC Modernism Seminar is a forum for NYC-area
scholars of the modernist period to read and discuss current work in

Meetings:
We meet sporadically but regularly, informally but rigorously,
discussing one or two article/chapter/essay-length texts at each
session.

Materials:
Materials are suggested by seminar participants.  We forward the
readings to the group 1-2 weeks in advance of each session.

Please submit your suggestions and we will make a good-faith attempt
to schedule them all.  We mainly focus on recent academic articles in
professional journals, chapters from recent academic books, and
re-readings of parts or wholes of canonical critical works.  Other
possibilities include New York novels and films from the modernist
period.

Facilitator Guidelines.  Those who submit suggestions should be ready to
1. provide an electronic version of the text
2. offer a brief oral summary (quite informal is quite fine)
3. facilitate discussion

Facebook user?  Find our page there:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/NYC-Modernism-Seminar/125898597449618

--