[Msa-discuss] CFP (NeMLA 2012 panel): Images of Interwar Berlin in Literature and Film (Deadline Oct 10)

Sarah Cornish cornish at fordham.edu
Fri Sep 30 12:23:43 EDT 2011

Dear All,

Apologies for cross-postings. I am looking for a couple of participants for
my NeMLA panel (Rochester, NY March 15-18, 2012). The abstract deadline has
been extended to *October 10th*. Please consider submitting, or forward to
anyone you know who might be interested. The panel is open to professors and
graduate students, and abstracts should be sent directly to me (
cornish at fordham.edu).

Title: Beyond Isherwood’s Camera: Images of Interwar Berlin in Literature
and Film

Christopher Isherwood’s famous line, “I am a camera with its shutter open,
quite passive, recording, not thinking,” positioned Berlin as a location of
study to be printed and fixed in time. Published in 1939, his novel *Goodbye
to Berlin* is haunting and prescient. While Isherwood’s accounts of Berlin
have been adopted into the popular consciousness through film adaptations
such as* Cabaret*, there are many other narratives that help to remind us of
a Berlin before Nazism. This panel seeks papers that further the critical
engagement with representations the built environment of Berlin and the
psyche of the city during the highly charged interwar period (especially
from the end of the Weimar Republic and to the rise of Hitler) in literature
and film. Berlin is a tricky site in studies of modernism, and this panel is
designed to tease out some of the complexities of cosmopolitan Berlin during
the 1920s and 30s and its relation to other sites of modernism such as Paris
and New York. Some topics might include but are not limited to American and
British ex-pat or tourist narratives, cosmopolitanism, the phenomenology of
the city, underground communities/urban phenomena, ideals of nationalism and
German identity, mapping power/subversion/gender/class, monument and
memorialization, and modernism(s) in Berlin. While the panel is cross-listed
under British/Anglophone and American literatures, interdisciplinary
proposals will be given consideration.

Please send 200-300 word abstracts to Sarah Cornish (cornish at fordham.edu).

For more information on NeMLA:
http://www.nemla.org/convention/2012/index.html