[Msa-discuss] bells in modernism

Judith Paltin jdthpal at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 13:23:25 EDT 2011

Hi Emma,
  Some bells in *Ulysses: *in "Telemachus" (*U* 17), "Nestor" (*U *22)- the
bells in heaven striking eleven come back again in "Circe", the 'gloria'
bells in the library, "Sirens" (another Big Ben reference) "Nausicaa"
(benediction bells), Mulligan wears a jester's cap with a bell in "Circe"
when Stephen's mother rises through the floor, Molly hears church bells
striking the time in "Penelope," and there are probably many others that are
not coming to mind immediately. What a fun game! My best, Judith Paltin