[Msa-discuss] Artificial Light in Modernist Literature

shel veenstra shel.veenstra at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 18:00:18 EDT 2011

Gertrude Stein describes the unsettling experience of seeing her own
name in lights on Broadway in _Everybody's Autobiography_.

You might also consider accounts of the World's Fair/Paris Universal
Exposition of 1900, which celebrated artificial light as a new and
fascinating phenomenon with such attractions as the Palace of
Electricity.  Burton Holmes's published travelogue on the Paris Expo
ends with a riveting reflection on the new city of lights:

"We stand upon the threshold of the Age of Electricity – the Age of
Light.  The Universal Exposition of Paris commemorates the close of
the nineteenth century, the Age of Steam.  And as we look by night
upon the Wonder-City of 1900, we see the Eiffel Tower, ablaze with
electrical incandescence, pointing like a prophetic finger toward a
radiant future — a future in which the Light of Science and the Light
of Knowledge shall be universal — a future which shall have no
darkness upon the earth, nor shadows in the lives of men."

--
Michelle Veenstra
Assistant Professor of English

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Stephen Pasqualina <spasqual at usc.edu> wrote:
> Could anyone suggest examples from modernist writers—essays, novels, plays,
> poems, or even letters—in which artificial light figures prominently?
>
> Many thanks,
> Stephen

Michelle Veenstra, PhD