[Msa-discuss] Artificial Light in Modernist Literature

Dr. Shyamal Bagchee sbagchee at ualberta.ca
Tue Oct 18 23:32:48 EDT 2011

'prufrock' has quite a bit: lamp light that falls on the woman's arm, magic
lantern projection imagined by the speaker; there might be others in it.
'portrait of a lady' has light if you include lit candles are included
(shadow?) projected on ceiling; 'rhapsody/windy night' has street lamps'
also,  you might want to check 'the waste land,' which in addition to a lit
candelabra has 'unlit' stairs.  what about 'mrs. dalloway'?  there might be
some in it too.

best,

shyamal bagchee

On 18 October 2011 13:38, Stephen Pasqualina <spasqual at usc.edu> wrote:

> Could anyone suggest examples from modernist writers—essays, novels, plays,
> poems, or even letters—in which artificial light figures prominently?
>
> Many thanks,
> Stephen

Shyamal Bagchee, PhD, FRSA
Professor of English and Film Studies
University of Alberta
Humanities Centre 3-5
Edmonton, AB  Canada  T6G 2E5
Telephone: 780-492-4632; Facsimile: 780-492-8142
website:  <www.ualberta.ca/~sbagchee <http://www.ualberta.ca/%7Esbagchee>>
***********************************
The price of wisdom
is too high,
but folly is expensive too.
Strike a bargain with me, Lord.
I'm not a man of ample means.---Nissim Ezekiel

This communication is intended solely for the addressee and may contain
personal and/or privileged information.  Access to this e-mail by anyone
else is unauthorized.  If you are not the intended recipient, please do not
copy, disclose, distribute, or take action on the communication.  If it has
been received in error, please contact me and delete and/or destroy the
communication.