[Msa-discuss] cfp: RSAP at ALA, PERIODICALS AND WORKING CLASS CULTURES: May in SF

Ellen Garvey ellengarvey at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 23 10:08:04 EST 2011

PERIODICALS AND WORKING CLASS CULTURES:

The Research Society for American Periodicals solicits proposals for
papers on American periodicals and working class cultures to be
delivered at the American Literature Association's 23rd Annual
Conference, 24-27 May 2012 at the Hyatt Regency San Francisco in
Embarcadero Center.

Consider periodicals such as _The Messenger_ (founded as the official
organ for the Pullman Porter's Union) to the _Worker's Daily_ - What
role have periodicals played in forming and re-forming class
consciousness among the working classes in the U.S.? What unique
methodological challenges do working-class periodicals pose? How do
working-class periodicals expand our understanding of readership and
activism, labor and literary culture? How does literature or literary
criticism in _The Partisan Review_ or _The New York Review of Books_
shape our understanding of the high-brow or low-brow audiences?  What
brow is the _New Yorker_, anyway?  What are the challenges &
possibilities for teaching material that concerns working class issues
from highbrow sources?  Conversely, what in various working class
periodicals was designed explicitly or implicitly to teach?  We seek
submissions concerning any aspect of American working-class magazines,
newspapers, or periodicals in any form.

Please send a one-page abstract submissions to Susanna Ashton at
sashton at clemson.edu <mailto:sashton at clemson.edu> by *January 16th 2012. *

Please put "RSAP panel submission" in the subject line, thanks.