[Msa-discuss] EMiC Bulletin (Winter 2011)

EMiC emic at dal.ca
Thu Mar 3 10:07:53 EST 2011

EMiC Bulletin (Winter 2011)

About EMiC
http://editingmodernism.ca
emic at dal.ca

EMiC is a SSHRC-funded strategic research cluster that facilitates collaboration among researchers and institutions from regions all across Canada and from the UK, France, Belgium, New Zealand, and the US.

We produce new print and digital editions of Canadian modernist texts from the early to mid-twentieth century, as well as organize conferences, workshops, special issues of journals, and collections of essays. The project’s mandate is primarily directed toward the production of critically edited texts by modernist Canadian authors, but does not exclude figures from the international field who have demonstrable relationships to Canadian literature and its modernist literary cultures. Edited texts include poetry, fiction, drama, autobiography, correspondence, and non-fictional prose from the early to mid-twentieth century.
Explore our website. Contribute to our blog. Contact us about ideas for new projects. We invite you to join our community.

Funding
EMiC’s funding and research opportunities are open to all new and established scholars engaged in research relevant to one or more of the three components of this project: literary modernism, scholarly editing, and humanities computing. We would like to invite you to join our growing network of graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, professors, publishers, and technologists by participating in our upcoming events and by taking advantage of our funding opportunities.

Researchers and institutional partners affiliated with this community of scholars can apply to EMiC for seed funding to support student research assistants and interns who work with them on editorial projects. Faculty participants as well as students and postdocs under their supervision are invited to participate in our summer institutes in digital editing and textual editing.
Students take note! EMiC offers stipends at the MA ($12,000 per year) and PhD ($15,000 per year) levels, postdoctoral fellowships ($31,500 per year for two years), and also provides resources for travel and accommodations to attend our summer institutes, workshops, and conferences.

Upcoming Deadlines
MA and PhD Stipends
Application deadline 31 March 2011
http://editingmodernism.ca/funding/ma-and-phd-stipends/

Postdoctoral Fellowships
Application deadline 15 April 2011
http://editingmodernism.ca/funding/postdoctoral-fellows/

TEMiC
Plan ahead to participate in EMiC’s Textual Editing and Modernism in Canada summer institute at Trent University in August 2011.
Deadline for applications 1 June 2011. http://editingmodernism.ca/training/summer-institutes/temic/

Announcements
Surrealism in Canada
Call for Papers
Special issue of Open Letter dedicated to the theme of Surrealism in Canada. The issue will be edited by Gregory Betts and Beatriz Hausner. Papers are due 1 September 2011. See the full CFP on the EMiC blog for more details: http://editingmodernism.ca/2011/01/surrealism-in-canada-cfp-open-letter-special-issue/

SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowship
EMiC doctoral fellow Bart Vautour has been awarded a SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowship for his project titled "The Deed Becomes the Word: Canadian Writing on the Spanish Civil War." He will be working on his postdoc at Mount Allison University, under the supervision of EMiC collaborator Christl Verduyn. Congratulations, Bart!

Recent Events
Modernist Studies Association Conference 12
Victoria, BC, November 11-14, 2010

Roundtable on Editorial Networks, Modernist Remediations
Organized by Dean Irvine, with presentations by EMiC participants Paul Hjartarson (Alberta), Matt Huculak (Dalhousie), Meagan Timney (UVic), and Doug Reside (MITH)

Panel on A Fighting Modernism: Canadian Literature and War
Organized and with presentations by Bart Vautour (Dalhousie), Emily Robins Sharpe (Pennsylvania State University), and Vanessa Lent (Dalhousie)

Conference on Editorial Problems
University of Toronto, 23-24 October 2010
Organized by Colin Hill, Dean Irvine, Kailin Wright, Brandon MacFarlane, and Vanessa Lent

Take a look at some of the discussion generated on the EMiC community blog by participants at the conference: Emily Ballantyne (Dalhousie), Hannah McGregor (Guelph), and Melissa Dalgliesh (York).

Selected papers by conference participants will be collected in a planned peer-reviewed volume of essays, which will be published as part of the University of Toronto Press’s Conference on Editorial Problems series. It is being edited by the EMiC project director, Dean Irvine, in collaboration with EMiC postdoctoral fellow Matt Huculak and graduate fellow Vanessa Lent. In addition, we are publishing a special issue of Essays on Canadian Writing with contributions from a selection of the conference’s panel and roundtable participants. This journal issue includes submissions from the EMiC community at large. It is being edited by the project director in collaboration with EMiC postdoctoral fellow Meagan Timney and graduate fellow Bart Vautour.

Upcoming Events

May 2011
Association of Canadian and Quebec Literatures/Association des littératures canadienne et québécoises
University of New Brunswick and University of St. Thomas/Université du Nouveuau-Brunswick et Université St-Thomas, 28-30 May/mai 2011

La modernité dans les littératures canadiennes anglophone et francophone / French/Canadian Modernisms
Organizers/organisatrices Sophie Marcotte (Concordia) and Vanessa Lent (Dalhousie)

La traversée des frontières dans les littératures néo-brunswickoises/Traversing Boundaries in the New Brunswick Literatures
Organizer/organisateur Tony Tremblay (St. Thomas)

Editing Modernism in Canada Roundtable/Modernism d'édition au Canada table ronde
All EMiC participants and interested students and faculty are invited to attend an informal information session and discussion circle about events and projects currently underway. Confirmed participants include Emily Robins Sharpe (Pennsylvania State), Gene Kondusky (St. Thomas), Adam Beardsworth and Michael DiSanto (Algoma), Marc Fortin (Queen's), Margaret Steffler and Alicia Fahey (Trent), Mavis Reimer (Winnipeg), and Dancy Mason and Katherine Shwetz (Dalhousie). We have also invited editors from our publishing partners at Alberta, McGill-Queen's, Toronto, Wilfrid Laurier, and Ottawa University Presses to listen and take part in our discussion.

June 2011
Space, Place and the McLuhan Legacy
University of Alberta, 23-26 June, 2011
Organized by Kristine Smitka (Alberta) and Paul Hjartarson (Alberta)

October 2011
Editing as Cultural Practice: Institutional Formations, Collaboration, and Literatures in Canada
An Editing Modernism in Canada and TransCanada Institute Workshop
TransCanada Insitute, University of Guelph, 20-22 October 2011
Organized by Smaro Kamboureli (Guelph), Dean Irvine (Dalhousie), and Hannah McGregor (Guelph)

With invited participants Robert Bringhurst (Simon Fraser), George Elliott Clarke (Toronto), Kateri Damm (Kegedonce Press), Kate Eichhorn (The New School), Irene Gammel (Ryerson), Carole Gerson (Simon Fraser), Robert Lecker (McGill), Hannah McGregor (Guelph), Heather Milne (Winnipeg), Roy Miki (Simon Fraser), Daniel David Moses (Queen's), Laura Moss (British Columbia), Zailig Pollock (Trent), Bart Vautour (Dalhousie), Cynthia Sugars (Ottawa), Christl Verduyn (Mount Allison), and Darren Wershler (Concordia). Essays by workshop participants will appear in an essay collection edited by Smaro Kamboureli and Dean Irvine and published in the TransCanada series at Wilfrid Laurier University Press.

Completed Projects
2010
P.K. Page, Kaleidoscope: Selected Poems of P.K. Page, ed. Zailig Pollock. Print edition (Porcupine's Quill).

A.M. Klein, The Letters, ed. Elizabeth Popham. Print edition (University of Toronto Press).

Eli Mandel, From Room to Room: The Poetry of Eli Mandel, ed. Peter Webb (Wilfrid Laurier University Press). Print edition for the Laurier Poetry Series.

2009
Bertram Brooker, The Wrong World: Selected Stories and Essays , ed. Gregory Betts. Canadian Literature Collection. Print edition with web-based apparatus (University of Ottawa Press).

CLC Online: http://www.uopress.uottawa.ca/clc/Brooker/author.htm

2008
Louis Dudek, All These Roads: The Poetry of Louis Dudek, ed. Karis Shearer (Wilfrid Laurier University Press).

2007
Irene Baird, Waste Heritage, ed. Colin Hill. Canadian Literature Collection. Print edition with web-based apparatus (University of Ottawa Press).

CLC Online: http://www.uopress.uottawa.ca/clc/Baird/author.htm

Robert J.C. Stead, Dry Water, eds. Neil Querengesser and Jean Horton. Canadian Literature Collection. Print edition with web-based apparatus (University of Ottawa Press).

CLC Online: http://www.uopress.uottawa.ca/clc/Stead/author.htm

Upcoming Projects

2011
Ted Allan, This Time a Better Earth, ed. Bart Vautour. Print edition with web-based apparatus (University of Ottawa Press).

Ernest Buckler, The Mountain and the Valley, ed. Marta Dvorak (Tecumseh Press)

Louis Dudek, “Dear Ezra”: Letters of Louis Dudek, ed. Karis Shearer. (McGill-Queen’s University Press)

Malcolm Lowry, Lunar Caustic, eds. Paul Tiessen, Patrick McCarthy, and Miguel Mota. Print edition with web-based apparatus (University of Ottawa Press)

P.K. Page, Brazilian Journal, ed. Suzanne Bailey. Collected Works of P.K. Page (Porcupine’s Quill)

For more information about future EMiC print and digital editions, see the Projects page on the website.

To add your project to future bulletins, please send information about upcoming events, publications, CFPs, photos and other relevant items to Gregory Betts (gbetts at brocku.ca).