[Msa-discuss] CFP: Fifth Biennial Rebecca West Conference (new deadline)

Debra Rae Cohen cohendr at mailbox.sc.edu
Tue Apr 12 12:46:45 EDT 2011

The Fifth Biennial Rebecca West Conference.
To be held at CUNY Baruch (Manhattan), September 16-17, 2011.

“Rebecca West and Power”

Although abstracts on any of her works are welcome, the main focus of this conference will be the journalism of Rebecca West. We invite papers that analyze any aspect of West’s journalistic oeuvre, but encourage especially contributions that investigate the idea of power—state power, patriarchal power, empire, God, and literary authorities. Any approach, including rhetorical analysis, political history, ideological critique, feminism, biography, and intertextuality are welcome. We also plan to organize at least one panel on approaches to the new collection of West’s non-fiction prose The Essential Rebecca West (2010). Papers on other topics will also be considered, especially those exploring the nexus between West’s fiction and non-fiction.

Send abstracts of 250-400 words to Ann Norton by May 1, 2011, at anorton at anselm.edu.