[Msa-discuss] CFP "Transnational Exchange"

Laura Ann Winkiel Laura.Winkiel at Colorado.EDU
Thu Jun 3 15:08:56 EDT 2010

Call for Papers =

 =

ELN (English Language Notes) 49.1 (Spring/Summer 2011)
 =

=B3Transnational Exchange=B2

As global flows of texts, media, persons, goods and cultures traverse
national borders, what is gained, what is lost? How do we compare these
modes of being, knowing and aesthetic expression as they move from one
context to another? From what critical ground? This special issue of ELN
invites contributions that investigate the epistemological, aesthetic,
economic, cultural, social, political and/or disciplinary histories and
methodologies of transnational exchange in an effort to determine critically
the stakes and premises of such exchange.
 =

For instance, if we think of transnational exchange as having been drawn
from the Western philosophical tradition of cosmopolitanism with its
conceptions of responsibility and attentiveness to the foreign and the
strange, do we unwittingly invite older formulations of European
universalism that erase historical nuance and specificity? Alternatively,
can we reconceptualize cosmopolitanism as long having sought to maintain
historical specificity and alterity in the =B3contact zone=B2? Can it regis=
ter
injustices on behalf of those erased by asymmetries of power? What are the
conditions of possibility within transnational exchanges for transforming
the self-other/East-West/North-South dyad? Can transnational exchange alter
consciousness and initiate a decentering awareness of one=B9s limited,
contingent position? In what ways do national interests, cultural
institutions and socioeconomic alignments shape the itineraries of the
transnational circulation of ideas, peoples, and goods?
 =

We welcome contributions on a broad range of issues and topics, including
but not limited to:
=B7     The dynamic formation of national, ethnic, and religious identities,
their commonalities and differences across transnational exchange;

=B7     The philosophical self-other problematic, reciprocity, recognition;

=B7     The transformation and exchange of world literature/music/art;

=B7     Transnational populations, biopower, migrations, diaspora;

=B7     Methodologies of translation and comparison;

=B7     Historicizing transnational exchange;

=B7     The role of the state in creating and prohibiting transnational
exchange;

=B7     Disciplinary knowledge and transnational transgression.

 =

Of particular interest are those working in underdeveloped regions of the
world where the power differentials of transnational exchanges are
particularly disadvantageous to indigenous and/or colonized peoples.

Position papers and essays of no longer than twenty manuscript pages are
invited from scholars in all fields of literature, cultural, gender and
ethnic studies, history, sociology, philosophy, art history, media studies,
and the arts. Along with analytical, interpretive, and historical
scholarship, we are also interested in work that moves traditional forms of
literary analysis into new styles of critical and creative writing.  We also
encourage collaborative work, short position papers submitted together as
topical clusters or debates, three to four page notes (see below), and
review essays on relevant books.
 =

A respected forum since 1962 for English literary studies, ELN (English
Language Notes) is now a biannual journal devoted exclusively to special
topics in all fields of literary and cultural studies.  The new ELN is
particularly determined to revive and reenergize its traditional commitment
to shorter notes, often no more than three to four pages in print. This
attribute of the journal provides a unique forum for cutting-edge scholarly
debate and exchange in the humanities.
 =

Please send double-spaced, 12-point font contributions adhering to the
Chicago-style endnote citation format in hard copy and MSword file to the
address below: =

 =

Special Issue Editor, =B3Transnational Exchange=B2
English Language Notes
University of Colorado at Boulder
226 UCB
Boulder, CO 80309-0226
Laura.winkiel at colorado.edu
 =

Specific inquiries regarding issue 49.1 may be addressed to the issue
editor, Laura Winkiel, at laura.winkiel at colorado.edu. The deadline for
submissions is October 1, 2010.
 =