[Msa-discuss] Reminder: Nominations for MSA Board Positions due by March 1

Debra Rae Cohen cohendr at mailbox.sc.edu
Sun Feb 14 09:57:40 EST 2010

  CALL FOR NOMINATIONS FOR 3 MSA EXECUTIVE BOARD POSITIONS:

  Deadline for receipt of Nominations: 1 March 2010 (Monday)

  The MSA Executive Committee seeks nominations for two Board positions.

  1. 2nd VICE PRESIDENT (the 2nd Vice President assumes office on the  =

final day of MSA 12 in 2010, then proceeds to the position of 1st  =

Vice-President on the final day of MSA 13 in 2011, and then to that  =

of President on the final day of MSA 14 in 2012).

  2. CHAIR, MEMBERSHIP DEVELOPMENT AND COMMUNICATIONS (3-year term  =

commencing on the final day of MSA 12 in 2010).

  OFFICIAL DESCRIPTIONS of these positions may be found at the MSA  =

Website (http://msa.press.jhu.edu/about/bylaws.html).

Prospective candidates with questions about the duties of any of the  =

offices are encouraged to contact these current or recent officers:

  President Pamela Caughie at pcaughi at luc.edu;

1st Vice President Mark Morrison at mxm61 at psu.edu;

2nd Vice President Susan Stanford Friedman at ssfriedm at wisc.edu

Chair of Membership Development and Communications Adelaide Morris at  =

dee-morris at uiowa.edu;

Recent Past Presidents Sean Latham at sean-latham at utulsa.edu and  =

Melba Cuddy-Keane at m.cuddy.keane at utoronto.ca.

******************

NOMINATION INSTRUCTIONS:

  We encourage both self-nominations and nominations of other MSA  =

members!

  Any MSA member in good standing is eligible to be nominated and  =

serve as an officer.

  Please send your nomination of another MSA member or of yourself to  =

Debra Rae Cohen, Chair, Nominations and Elections Committee: drc at sc.edu.

  Nominations should be sent as an attachment and should include the  =

following information about the nominee:

=B7        name

=B7        position sought

=B7        e-mail and telephone contacts

=B7        rank, academic or organizational affiliation

=B7        a statement of candidacy of no more than 200 words; the  =

statement may additionally be accompanied by a list of up to 4  =

publications that demonstrate an interest in Modernist Studies and/or  =

a website address that lists publications and other relevant information

=B7        current c.v.

******************

NOMINATIONS DEADLINE: 1 MARCH 2010 (MONDAY)

  The Nominations and Elections Committee Chair, in consultation with  =

the Nominations Committee, will prepare a slate of candidates for  =

election.  The Nominations Chair will contact those nominees who were  =

not self-nominated to confirm their interest in serving on the board.

  Please address any procedural questions to Debra Rae Cohen at her e- =

mail (drc at sc.edu) or via telephone (803.777.2133).

This information is also on the MSA website at http:// =

msa.press.jhu.edu/about/nominations.html.

*******************

ABOUT THE MSA BOARD:

Since our inception over a decade ago, the MSA membership has grown  =

to almost 1000. Most of the organization=92s work is done by volunteers  =

on the MSA Board and their committees, with the assistance of an MSA  =

administrator. Therefore, those deciding to run for election should  =

be prepared to make a substantial time commitment to MSA. Board  =

members also work individually and collectively to build the  =

membership base, and to communicate with members and the larger  =

academy concerning the Modernist Studies Association. The MSA Board  =

is responsible for planning and executing the annual meeting in  =

conjunction with representatives of the host institution; we believe  =

that the liveliest and most provocative conferences result from  =

attention to diversity of representation on the fronts of discipline,  =

nation, race, and gender on the Board, among the membership, and on  =

the annual program.  Our most recent conferences in Long Beach  =

(2007), Nashville (2008) and Montreal (2009) have further diversified  =

our membership and increased interdisciplinary and multi-cultural  =

panel offerings. We expect no less of our future conferences at  =

Victoria (2010), Buffalo (2011) and Las Vegas (2012).

Debra Rae Cohen
Department of English
Humanities Office Building
University of South Carolina