[Msa-discuss] Queer modernisms course

Jessica Burstein jb2 at u.washington.edu
Tue Feb 9 21:32:09 EST 2010

Who would have said don't forget either Mr. or Mrs. Sacher-Masoch. And
if you want German for English readers, there are some shall we say
gripping sections in Kaes et al's *Weimar Republic Sourcebook* on
sexology and body-culture, which makes all that divine decadence in
Isherwood's (and Minnelli's) Berlin Stories come clear. Jelavich too has
a lovely book on Berlin cabarets, and you can get the lyrics auf English
too, but I forget the editor. Or you can butch it out (up?) with
Patrician Highsmith, but that's probably too late and she probably
couldn't hold a tune if you handed it to her. Do Barnes's Repulsive
Women; that has pretty pictures--and throws you back to Beardsley and
the Wilde bunch, and you're already on Salome. Dreamily, JB

Robert Scholes wrote:

> N’oubliez pas Proust.

Jessica Burstein
Associate Professor, Department of English
Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Women Studies
A101 Padelford Hall
University of Washington
Seattle, Washington 98195-4330
U.S.A.
fax. 206.685.2673
e. jb2 at u.washington.edu

“Too few have the courage of my convictions.” –Robert Maynard Hutchins