[Msa-discuss] MSA-DISCUSS/ CITIZEN, INVERT, QUEER: Lesbianism and War in Early Twentieth-Century Britain

mktgtwo at umn.edu mktgtwo at umn.edu
Thu Apr 8 09:46:59 EDT 2010

Dear ListServ Administrator:

Please post this to MSA-DISCUSS. Also, please let me know if you'd
like to review the book for your listserv. Thanks!

Best wishes,
Heather Skinner, Publicist
University of Minnesota Press
111 3rd Ave S, Ste. 290
Minneapolis, MN 55401-2520
skinn077 at umn.edu
v * 612-627-1932
f * 612-627-1980
http://www.upress.umn.edu

How the Great War changed British understandings of lesbianism

CITIZEN, INVERT, QUEER: Lesbianism and War in Early Twentieth-Century Britain
By Deborah Cohler
University of Minnesota Press | 320 pages | 2010
ISBN 978-0-8166-4976-1 | paperback| $25.00
ISBN 978-0-8166-4975-4 | hardcover | $75.00

Citizen, Invert, Queer illuminates profound transformations in our
ideas about female homosexuality. Incorporating cultural histories of
prewar women's suffrage debates, British sexology, women's work on
the home front during World War I, and discussions of interwar
literary representations of female homosexuality, Deborah Cohler maps
the emergence of lesbian representations in relation to the decline
of empire and the rise of eugenics in England.

"Citizen, Invert, Queer is a beautifully researched and well written
account of the complex historical relations between sexuality and
nation in the early 20th century. Whilst this is a meticulous and
valuable historical study, it also advances understandings of the
difficult interdependencies of race and sexuality in the contemporary
moment. A great contribution to scholarship in this area." -Kate
O'Riordan, University of Sussex

Deborah Cohler is associate professor of women and gender studies at
San Francisco State University.

For more information, including the table of contents, visit the
book's webpage:
http://www.upress.umn.edu/Books/C/cohler_citizen.html

Sign up to receive news on the latest releases from University of
Minnesota Press:
http://www.upress.umn.edu/mediaalert.html

Please email me if you have any questions.
skinn077 at umn.edu
v * 612-627-1932
f * 612-627-1980