[Msa-discuss] Jazz Age syllabus

John V. Knapp tb0jvk1 at corn.cso.niu.edu
Thu Mar 26 00:41:11 EDT 2009

Adam --

See my NIU colleague, Keith Gandel's new book, *The Gun and the Pen
Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Faulkner, and the Fiction of Mobilization* (Oxford
UP, 2008).  See a blurb about the book below:

"In this groundbreaking work of literary and historical scholarship, Keith
Gandal shows that Ernest Hemingway, F. Scott Fitzgerald, and William
Faulkner were motivated, in their famous postwar novels, not by their
experiences of the horrors of war but rather by their failure to have
those experiences."

"These "quintessential" male American novelists of the 1920s were all, for
different reasons, deemed unsuitable as candidates for full military
service or command and the result was, Gandal contends, that they felt
themselves emasculated--not, as the usual story goes, due to their
encounters with trench warfare, but because they got nowhere near the
trenches or the real action. By bringing to light previously unexamined
archival records of the Army, The Gun and the Pen demonstrates that the
frustration of these authors' military ambitions took place in the
forgotten context of a whole new set of methods employed in the
mobilization for the Great War--unprecedented procedures that aimed to
transform the Army into a meritocratic institution, indifferent to ethnic
and class difference (though not racial, or black-white, difference). For
these Lost Generation writers, the humiliating failure vis--vis the Army
became a failure to compete successfully in a rising social order and
against a new set of people. And it is that social order and those
people--these effects of mobilization, and not other effects of the
war--that the novels considered here both register and re-imagine."

Cheers,

John

***********************
On Wed, 25 Mar 2009, Adam McKible wrote:

> Hello all:
>
> I am looking for suggestions (texts, anthologies, ancillary material,
> etc.) for an undergraduate course on Jazz Age literature and culture.
> Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Best,
>
> Adam McKible
> Associate Professor of English
> John Jay College of Criminal Justice
> 619 W. 54th St., 7th Floor
> New York, NY 10019
> 212/237-8584 (wk)
> 845/831-4173 (hm)
> 347/731-5075 (cell)
>
> elijahtakeshi.blogspot.com

*******************

John V. Knapp

Professor, Dept. of English;
Editor, *Style;*        	 tb0jvk1 at wpo.cso.niu.edu
Northern Illinois University     OR   jknapp at niu.edu
330 Reavis Hall                  http://www3.niu.edu/english/jvk/home.htm
Dekalb  60115  USA               Office Phone:  (815) 753-6632

	To depreciate a Book maliciously, or even wantonly, is
	at least a very ill-natured office; and a morose snarling
	Critic may, I believe, be suspected to be a bad Man.
		Henry Fielding,  *Tom Jones.*