[Msa-discuss] Reminder: Call for Nominations for MSA Board Positions

Debra Rae Cohen cohendr at mailbox.sc.edu
Mon Feb 23 10:35:58 EST 2009

This is a reminder that all materials for MSA nominations--whether you  =

are self-nominating or nominating someone else--must be received  by  =

Monday, March 2. Please get in touch with Debra Rae Cohen   =

(drc at sc.edu) if you have any questions. The call for nominations is  =

repeated below:
CALL FOR NOMINATIONS FOR 3 MSA EXECUTIVE BOARD POSITIONS:

Deadline for receipt of nominations: 2 March 2009 (Monday)

The MSA Executive Committee seeks nominations for 3 Board positions.

1. 2nd VICE PRESIDENT (the 2nd Vice President assumes office on the  =

final day of MSA 11 in 2009, then proceeds to the position of 1st Vice- =

President on the final day of MSA 12 in 2010, and then to the position  =

of President on the final day of MSA 13 in 2011).

2. INTERDISCIPLINARY APPROACHES CHAIR (3-year term commencing on the  =

final day of MSA 11 in 2009).

3. INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS CHAIR (3-year term commencing on the final  =

day of MSA 11 in 2009).

Click here for OFFICIAL DESCRIPTIONS

Prospective candidates with questions about the duties of any of the  =

positions are encouraged to contact these current or recent officers:

President Sean Latham at sean-latham at utulsa.edu;
1st Vice President Pamela Caughie at pcaughi at luc.edu;
2nd Vice President Mark Morrison at mxm61 at psu.edu;
Interdisciplinary Approaches Chair David Chinitz at dchinit at luc.edu;
International Relations Chair Sonita Sarker at sarker at macalester.edu;
Recent Past-Presidents Melba Cuddy-Keane at m.cuddy.keane at utoronto.ca
and Cristanne Miller at ccmiller at buffalo.edu

******************

NOMINATION INSTRUCTIONS:

We encourage both self-nominations and nominations of other MSA members!

Any MSA member in good standing is eligible to be nominated and serve  =

as an officer.

Please send your nomination of another MSA member or of yourself to  =

Debra Rae Cohen, Chair, Nominations and Elections Committee: drc at sc.edu.

Nominations should be sent as an attachment and should include the  =

following information about the nominee:

=95 name
=95 position sought
=95 e-mail and telephone contacts
=95 rank, academic or organizational affiliation
=95 a statement of candidacy of no more than 200 words; the statement  =

may additionally be accompanied by a list of up to 4 publications that  =

demonstrate an interest in Modernist Studies and/or a website address  =

that lists publications and other relevant information
=95 current c.v.

NOMINATIONS DEADLINE: 2 MARCH 2009 (MONDAY)

The Nominations and Elections Committee Chair, in consultation with  =

the Nominations Committee, will prepare a slate of candidates for  =

election. The Nominations Chair will contact those nominees who were  =

not self-nominated to confirm their interest in serving on the board.

Please address any procedural questions to Debra Rae Cohen at her  =

email (drc at sc.edu) or via telephone (803.777.2133).

*******************
ABOUT THE MSA BOARD:

Since our inception over a decade ago, the MSA membership has grown to  =

almost 1000. Most of the organization=92s work is done by volunteers on  =

the MSA Board and their committees, with the assistance of an MSA  =

administrator. Therefore, those deciding to run for election should be  =

prepared to make a substantial time commitment to MSA. Board members  =

also work individually and collectively to build the membership base,  =

and to communicate with members and the larger academy concerning the  =

Modernist Studies Association. The MSA Board is responsible for  =

planning and executing the annual meeting in conjunction with  =

representatives of the host institution; we believe that the liveliest  =

and most provocative conferences result from attention to diversity of  =

representation on the fronts of discipline, nation, race, and gender  =

on the Board, among the membership, and on the annual program. Our  =

most recent conferences in Tulsa (2006), Long Beach (2007), and  =

Nashville (2008) have further diversified our membership and increased  =

interdisciplinary and multi-cultural panel offerings. We expect no  =

less of our future conferences at Montreal (2009), Victoria (2010) and  =

Buffalo (2011).

Debra Rae Cohen
Department of English
Humanities Office Building