[Msa-discuss] MLA cfp

janet lyon jwl12 at psu.edu
Tue Feb 17 09:32:16 EST 2009

MLA Committee on Late-19th- and Early-20thC English Literature:  Call
for Papers for the 2009 MLA Convention, Philadelphia, Dec. 27-30

1) Past and Present: The relation of past to present, as theorized in
the period 1880-1920.  How did we get here from there and know that
we have?  1-page abstracts and brief vitae by 10 March, Stephen Arata
(sda2e at virginia.edu).

2) Uses of Literature: Concepts of the uses of literature, 1880-1920:
their relevance to periodization and to current debates about the
value of literature and literary study. 1-page abstracts and brief
vitae by 10 March, Mark Wollaeger (mark.wollaeger at vanderbilt.edu).

3) Where and When is Modernism?  What counts as modernism in the
global setting of English-language literatures?  Conceptual inquiries
into the times and places of modernism. 1-page abstracts and brief
vitae by 10 March, Janet Lyon (jwl12 at psu.edu).

Janet Lyon
Associate Professor of English
Penn State University