[Msa-discuss] CFP: Trauma and Literature

Goodspeed-Chadwick, Julie juligood at iupuc.edu
Wed Apr 29 14:49:51 EDT 2009

Call for Papers: Trauma Theory and Literature
Deadline: August 1, 2009
Send: Essays  (up to 8,000 words, but not less than 4,000 words)
Editors: Michelle Balaev, Northern Michigan University, and Julie Goodspeed=
-Chadwick, Indiana University-Purdue University at Columbus
Email Essays to the Editors at: literatureanthology at gmail.com<mailto:litera=
tureanthology at gmail.com>
We are interested in essays that engage the current debates regarding traum=
a theory and literature for an anthology on new approaches to trauma studie=
s and literature. We anticipate placing the anthology with a university pre=
ss and will submit the prospectus after we have selected essays for the vol=
ume. Papers that address representations of trauma in literature, question =
the definition of trauma, critique the popular transhistorical notion of it=
, analyze identity and subjectivity (i.e., gender/race or ethnicity/class/n=
ationality) in connection with trauma, and introduce post-Freudian theories=
 on trauma and memory are especially welcome.  Other possible topics includ=
e: Traumatic Memory and Narrative Time; The relationship between Place, Mem=
ory, Identity and Traumatic Experiences; Culture and Trauma Narratives; Emb=
odiment of trauma in terms of Gender and Sexual Politics; Relationships bet=
ween Genre and Trauma; Ethical issues pertaining to trauma and representati=
on; Constructions of voice or character in light of authenticity and trauma=
tic experiences; Intersections of history and literature (e.g., the roman =
=E0 clef); the Body as battlefield (i.e., how do we theorize the body in ph=
ysical pain or psychic pain); Trauma and witnessing, Literary theory and tr=
auma; New directions in interdisciplinary literary trauma studies; and Peda=
gogical articles about teaching trauma and literature.

Julie Goodspeed-Chadwick, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of English
Division of Liberal Arts
IUPUC
4601 Central Avenue
Columbus, IN  47203-1769
Tel. 812.348.7270
www.iupuc.edu
Indiana University-Purdue University Columbus