[Msa-discuss] Call for Papers: Paul Bowles in Contexts

Cotsell, Michael mcotsell at english.udel.edu
Mon Mar 31 19:09:32 EDT 2008

We are looking for a small number of additional papers to complete a
collection of scholarly and critical papers, PAUL BOWLES IN CONTEXT,
with a substantial introduction, which we expect to have accepted by a
university press. Contributors to date (from the US, Portugal, Italy,
Britain and Morocco) have drawn heavily on the Paul Bowles Papers in
Special Collections at the University of Delaware and elsewhere. The
editors will be glad to assist contributors to access material at
Delaware. We have interest in the following topics: Bowles and
present-day US-Arab tensions; Bowles and Antaeus; Paul Bowles, Roderigo
Rey Rosa, and the post-colonial in Central America; a comparison of the
cross cultural experience of Bowles in Morocco and of present-day
Islamic novelists in Europe or America; a comparative discussion of the
urban, the desert or urban/desert contrast in Bowles and North African
or Middle Eastern authors. However, we would be very interested to learn
of other proposals and also to provide more information about the
collection. PLEASE CONTACT: Michael Cotsell, English Department,
University of Delaware mcotsell at udel.edu; Andrew Martino, Chair, English
Department, Southern New Hampshire University, a.martino at snhu.edu.