[Msa-discuss] modernist poetry

Drouin, Jeffrey JDrouin at gc.cuny.edu
Sun Mar 9 17:18:52 EDT 2008

Dear Professor Scholes and Colleagues,

Many thanks for the digital edition of Poetry. These digitized periodicals =
are making my dissertation life much, much easier. Are there any plans to d=
igitize The Egoist and The Little Review?

Also, does anyone know of digital editions of inter-war periodicals like Th=
e Criterion, The Dial, The Listener, The Nation and Athenaeum, etc.?

Since you ask about scholarship and pedagogy, this Summer I'll be teaching =
a graduate course on modernism and material culture for which the MJP will =
be a prime resource. As of now, I'm planning to do some foundational readin=
gs and then have students each pick a work and some issue surrounding it, w=
hich they'll investigate in its original material context. The idea would b=
e for students to compile their research on a wiki or Drupal website, learn=
ing some descriptive bibliography and textual criticism along the way, and =
then turn it into a resource. It should also provide an opportunity to disc=
uss differences between material originality and digital culture. I'm wonde=
ring how other people have taught periodicals or material modernism.

Best regards,

Jeff Drouin